Re: Using KDE to start Postgres

From: Mike White <jmwhite(at)mail(dot)hot1(dot)net>
To: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Frank Hilliard <frankhilliard(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using KDE to start Postgres
Date: 2000-10-27 00:05:52
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Frank Hilliard wrote:
>   >I can get Postgres running by going su postgres, logging in, and then using
>   >psql. However, what I'd like to do is to use the icon in the KDE menu under
>   >Debian, Databases, Postgresql. When I do this from my home directory, the
>   >terminal flashes up and then disappears. What permissions do I have to put i
>       >n
>   >place to launch Postgres from my own Linux account?

When you set up the icon, type su -c postmaster postgres in the execute area of
the properties box and check the run in terminal check box.  When you click on
the icon, a terminal session will start and prompt you for postgres' password.
After typing in the password you can kill the terminal session and use postgres
until you log off.  At least this works on my Mandrake 7.0 box.