installing postgres on SunOS 5.7 as non-priviledged user

From: "Mark Tessier and Martine Veilleux" <capnatur(at)total(dot)net>
To: "Postgres" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: installing postgres on SunOS 5.7 as non-priviledged user
Date: 2001-09-02 15:54:18
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks for the lead to installing on Solaris.  In my case, however, I'm installing as a non-priviledged user on my virtual domain.  I have already asked on this mailing list whether this is possible, and the answer is yes.  Now I need to know more precisely what I need to install in this fashion.

Under the postgres server guidelines where it states the software required to be already installed, I know I have:

  a.. gcc version 2.8.1
  b.. perl version 5.005_02 built for sun4-solaris
  c.. make (I don't know which version)

The software to be included in the install is:

  a.. PostgreSQL
  b.. OpenSSL
  c.. GNU Readline
  d.. 712solaris78-startup

Does this come with the postgres source installation?  Do I need all this for my particular install situation?

I have a lot of questions but few answers at this point.  Is there anybody out there who's successfully done such an installation?
I realize it would require the help from the technical staff at my host server, especially to get the server up and running at boot time. If I'm not mistaken, this means every time the server is rebooted, I'd have to get somebody with root access to launch postgres under my account name (ie., su to my account and launch postgres).  Or it was mentioned that I could cheat and setup a cronjob that runs as you that will fire it up for you.

Perhaps there's a manual specially devoted to this particular installation situation, that would make life a little simpler.

Thanks,

Mark

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Robert KleemannDate: 2001-09-03 03:28:38