RE: [HACKERS] Lots 'o patches

From: "Stupor Genius" <stuporg(at)erols(dot)com>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Lots 'o patches
Date: 1998-06-02 00:44:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That is going to be difficult to do.  We used to have some SQL scripts
> that could make the required database changes, but when system table
> structure changes, I can't imagine how we would migrate that without a
> dump/reload.  I suppose we could keep the data/index files with user data,
> run initdb, and move the data files back, but we need the system table
> info reloaded into the new system tables.

If the tuple header info doesn't change, this doesn't seem that tough.
Just do a dump the pg_* tables and reload them.  The system tables are
"small" compared to the size of user data/indexes, no?

Or is there some extremely obvious reason that this is harder than it
seems?

But then again, what are the odds that changes for a release will only
affect system tables so not to require a data dump?  Not good I'd say.

darrenk