Re: Crappy performance even though not swapping

From: "Neil Aggarwal" <neil(at)JAMMConsulting(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crappy performance even though not swapping
Date: 2007-02-28 03:13:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello all:

I read the performance tips section of the documentation
and tried removing an index I had on the table.  Once I
did that, the performance seems to keep to the level
when my program first runs.

Here is my table:

CREATE TABLE "exemptions" (
	acct_num	varchar(13) not null,
	tax_district		char(3),
	exemption_code		char(3),
	exemption_description	varchar(50)
);

I had this index on it:
CREATE INDEX "exemptions_acct_num" on "exemptions" ("acct_num");

I can't create a unique index since there are repeat rows for
the account number when it has a different exemption code.

I am completely surprised by how much performance degredation
occurs with the index vs. without it.

Do unique indexes also have such a large impact on insert performance?

Will a non-unique index such as defined above help much with queries or
will the improvement be negligible?

Is there a better type of index to use?  The queries against this table
will almost always be looking to retrieve a set of rows by account number.

Thanks,
	Neil

FREE! Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.