Re: Three versions of Pg.pm on my machine

From: "gnari" <gnari(at)simnet(dot)is>
To: <ralough(at)iee(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Three versions of Pg.pm on my machine
Date: 2004-07-17 09:45:37
Lists: pgsql-general

"Richard A Lough" <richard(at)sheugh(dot)com> said on pgsql-general:

[discussion aboud different perl Pg.pm modules]

> > > /usr/lib/Perl5/Pg.pm
> Oops ... should be /usr/lib/Perl5/DBD/Pg.pm

> packages installed are
> libdbi-perl 1.41-1
> libdbd-pg-perl 1.32-1

just to clarify:

you can either use DBI together with DBD::Pg
in that case the connection is made by something like
use DBI;
my $bdh = DBI->connect('bdi:Pg:dbname=foo','user','passwd');

or, you can use the Pg module. in that case:
use Pg;
my $conn=Pg::connectdb("dbname=foo");

this is supplied by the package libpg-perl

> On my current machine I installed a symlink some time ago and
> this points to the old version of Pg.pm. The symlink is found
> early in any search by a perl script, hence the new version
> of Pg.pm is not found. However, I am moving my stuff onto a
> new machine. This does not have the symlink, but the new Pg.pm
> is found and will not work with my scripts.

it can be tricky to use symlinks unless you know exactly
what you are doing. for example, libpg-perl also installs
/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Pg/Pg.so

I am still not exactly clear on what you are doing, but i
hope this helps

gnari