SV: Case sensitive field names

From: "Jarmo Paavilainen" <netletter(at)comder(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: SV: Case sensitive field names
Date: 2000-09-26 17:21:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Is there a way to make postgre insensitive about field name cases?
> >
> > Like
"initdb --fields-are-case-insensitive --compares-are-case-insensitive"
> The main problem I see with case-insensitivity is the fact that there
> are always more than one way to do it, as it depends on charset _and_
locale ;(

> For example 'Ä'=='ä' in my locale but not in US, not to mention that in
> some locales even the character count may change when going from upper to
> lower case.

Thats not really a problem with field names. *I think* you should always use
ASCII chars in fieldnames (and only those between 32 (space) and 'z'.

And PostgreSQL should cope with case insensitive search. If not, then I can
not use it.

Can PostgreSQL do a case insensitive search?

> arbitraryly-case-altering OS-es, like the ones Microsoft produces.

Yeah and microsoft SQL server can do a case insensitive search, so can
Sybase (at least the Win versions).

> > query, and in which file(s) does that happen? (So I can do my own hack,
add
> > "tolower(fieldName)").
> I guess the best place would be sobewhere very near lexer.

Ill look for a good spot.

> You could also try just uppercasing anything outside ''/"" even before
> it is passed to backend.

No good, because field values should keep case (even if you search on them
case insensitive). But then again to use " as a field value delimiter is
illegal, isnt it?

// Jarmo