Re: PostgreSQL serials in MS-Access are writable, but they are supposed to be read-only

From: "Joel Burton" <joel(at)joelburton(dot)com>
To: "Antti Toivanen" <antti(dot)toivanen(at)telemerkki(dot)fi>, <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL serials in MS-Access are writable, but they are supposed to be read-only
Date: 2002-06-10 12:06:51
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Antti --

I don't think there's any way, through ODBC, to mimic the AutoIncrement type
as used by Access. So I wouldn't hold your breath that PG (or any other
ODBC-connected database backend) is going to implement it.

If your concern is that people can change the auto-incremented field, just
write a rule in PG to change deny updates to this field.

I don't think you understand my advice about not showing the ID field. You
_don't_ have to write this as a separate query for each table. If your users
are simply opening up tables directly, just hide the column in datasheet
view. (Format -> Hide Column, IIRC). I'm not sure what you mean about how
this is not a solution for "general functions", but it's a transparent way
to keep users from fiddling with this field while still giving them direct
access to the table.

I think it's always smarter, though, to deny users access to tables directly
in Access. A good idea is to build a form for each table that shows that
table in datasheet view. This gives you much more flexibility to validate
data, present meaningful error messages, and provide column-level security
constraints. Plus, you can show the ID field, but make it read-only (& if
you really want, to make this look like the Access AutoNumber feature, you
can prefetch sequence.nextval() when an update is made to any field in your
record, just like happens in Access.)

The nice thing about this is that, since it's still a datasheet, it looks to
your users like a table, so they don't understand that anything different is
going on.

- J.

--
Joel BURTON | joel(at)joelburton | www.joelburton.com | aim:wjoelburton
Information Technology & Knowledge Management Consultant

Attachment Content-Type Size
Joel Burton.vcf text/x-vcard 698 bytes