Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb

From: "Greg Quinn" <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Slow performance on Windows .NET and OleDb
Date: 2006-03-28 12:14:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hello,

I have just installed PostGreSql 8.1 on my Windows XP PC. I created a simple
table called users with 4 varchar fields.

I am using the OleDb connection driver. In my .NET application, I populate
3000 records into the table to test PostGreSql's speed. It takes about 3-4
seconds.

Even worse is displaying the 3000 records in a ListView control. It takes
about 7 seconds. In MySQL, the exact same table and application displays the
same 3000 records in under 1/2 second!!!

Why is PostGreSql so slow compared to MySQL? What do you recommend I do to
speed up? It is such a simple query and small database.

pgsql-performance by date