Can't connect on Windows

From: "Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can't connect on Windows
Date: 2002-12-22 01:51:08
Lists: pgadmin-support
I installed cygwin-based postgreSQL. I have not been able yet to start
it as a service (net start postmaster), apparently because of
permissions problems. I'm waiting on some suggestions, hopefully, about
that.

I can connect to the DB w/o starting a service from the cygwin command
line, however, in that case I only have 1 user (myself), no postgres
user is there yet. This way, I cannot connect to the DB from pgAdmin
(localhost), it says "Could not connect to the server", "Could not
connect to remote socket".

Do I get it right that to connect on localhost with pgAdmin, I have to
have postmaster running as a service? I think adding postgres user and
running w/o net start postmaster will not make any difference. Is that
right?

Thank you,
r.

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Reshat SabiqDate: 2002-12-22 06:50:18