New data type: uniqueidentifier

From: "Dmitry G(dot) Mastrukov" <dmitry(at)taurussoft(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New data type: uniqueidentifier
Date: 2001-06-26 19:59:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi, All!

I've developed new data type for PostgreSQL - uniqueidentifier - 128-bit
value claims to be unique across Universe. It depends on libuuid from
e2fsprogs by Theodore Ts'o. Now I use it in my project. Everybody can grab
it from
http://taurussoft.chat.ru/uniqueidentifier-0.1.9.tar.gz

Before announce this new type through pgsql-announce I want to clear for
myself some things.
I've marked "=" operator with HASH clause (and planner has started to use
hash jons). But as I understand the right way is to create special hash
function (may be wrapper for hash_any(), isn't it?) and register it for hash
as for btree method.
So is it desirable to mark "=" as HASH for this type (seems internal 16 byte
representation will be hash well) and if yes how can I create hash sort
method for uniqueidentifier?

regards,
Dmitry

PS. If you decide to install uniqueidentifier look at the date of
uuid/uuid.h somewhere in INCLUDE path. Sometimes it's necessary to manualy
enter "make install" in lib/uuid directory of e2fsprogs.