Re: Problem with query, server totally unresponsive

From: "Dave Dutcher" <dave(at)tridecap(dot)com>
To: "'Jim C(dot) Nasby'" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with query, server totally unresponsive
Date: 2006-03-24 14:46:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

> From: pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-
> owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jim C. Nasby
> Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Problem with query, server totally unresponsive
>
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 01:12:08PM +0100, Bendik Rognlien Johansen
wrote:
> > Hello, I have a big problem with one of my databases. When i run my
> > query, after a few minutes, the postmaster shows 99% mem i top, and
> > the server becomes totally unresponsive.
>
> You've got a bunch of sorts going on; could you be pushing the machine
> into swapping?
>
> > I get this message when I try to cancel the query:
> >
> > server closed the connection unexpectedly
> >         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> >         before or while processing the request.
> > The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
>
> Did you send a kill of some kind to the backend?
>
> > The machine has 2x Intel dual core processors (3GHz) and 2 Gigs of
ram.

> Unless I missed some big news recently, no such CPU exists.
> Hyperthreading is absolutely not the same as dual core, and many
people
> have found that it's best to disable hyperthreading on database
servers.

Maybe I'm confused by the marketing, but I think those CPUs do exist.
According to New Egg the Pentium D 830 and the Pentium D 930 both are
dual core Pentiums that run at 3Ghz.  It also specifically says these
processors don't support hyper threading, so I believe they really have
two cores.   Maybe you are thinking he was talking about a 3Ghz Core
Duo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=34&N=2000340000+5
0001157+1302820275+1051007392&Submit=ENE

Dave