Re: Upgraded to Red Hat 7.1, now my DB is toast?

From: "Rob Arnold" <rob(at)cabrion(dot)com>
To: "Eric Walstad" <eric(at)walstads(dot)net>, "J(dot) J(dot) Franzen" <jfranzen(at)cinenet(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgraded to Red Hat 7.1, now my DB is toast?
Date: 2001-06-07 10:57:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Major version changes of Postgres require a dump (to text) of the database
and a restore from that file. You will need to reinstall the old version of
Postgres and dump the database using pg_dumpall, then upgrade to 7.1 and
restore from the dump.

Postgres requires dumps/restores any time there is a significant version
change:

6.5.x ->7.0.x requires a dump/restore
7.0.0 -> 7.0.2 does not require a dump
7.0.x->7.1.x requires a dump/restore