Re: question about HA in PG 9.0

From: "Anibal David Acosta" <anibal(dot)acosta(at)edge(dot)com(dot)py>
To: "'Kasia Tuszynska'" <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: question about HA in PG 9.0
Date: 2010-09-20 14:55:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

Windows server enterprise has the Microsoft Cluster Services.

This enable fail-over scenario between two computers.

So, when one of them go offline, the other is activated, this involve many
steps, including IP changing, the slave become the master IP address .

But you can choose between has a replication between both postgres or maybe
you can put your postgresql DATA directory to an external storage shared
between those two servers.

If this case, when the second server become available the Cluster service
map map the DATA unit and starts the postgres service.

So, you have everything running and working in aprox. 10 seconds.