Re: BUG #5642: pg_upgrade does not handle shared libraries for language handlers

From: "David Platt" <davidplatt(at)davidplatt(dot)com>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'Bruce Momjian'" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5642: pg_upgrade does not handle shared libraries for language handlers
Date: 2010-09-08 03:24:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thank you. I believe we had implemented version 6.x of Postgres back when
Postgres had stored procedures, views, triggers, etc. and MySQL didn't. I
said that I had no intention of using a database without views so we went
with Postgres. Even our Configuration Management Software vendor has
selected Postgres for their next version of software. They had been placing
metadata in their proprietary repository and it was becoming a bottleneck
since the metadata could not be indexed and they basically did the
equivalent of a table scan for every query. They have modified their C
daemon to insert records and delete records from a Postgres database and
used triggers and stored procedures to capture history. They chose Postgres
because it performed rings around the other open source dbs. Procedures
that could take 30 minutes to run now run in less than 10 seconds with
tables with 140,000,000 rows.