Re: Errors creating my first database

From: "Kent R(dot) Rigby" <kent(dot)rigby(at)att(dot)net>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Errors creating my first database
Date: 2002-04-02 00:12:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

When I run createdb I get the following error:
psql: FATAL 1: User "my_user_name" does not exist
createdb: database creation failed

When I run createuser I get the following error:
pgsql: FATAL 1: user "my_user_name" does not exist
createuser: creation of user "new_user_name" failed

in both cases "my_user_name" is the name of the unpriviliged user account
under which I am currently logged in. "newa_user_name" is the name of the
user I am trying to create (which just happens to be my current login name.

PS I tried to create a database using PgAccess and I got this error:
Tcl error executing pg_exec create database "database_name"
is not a valid postgresql connection.

I hope this helps. I am going to Barnes and Nobles right now to look for
the Practical PostgreSQL book that Ugly Hippo suggested.

Kent