Re: Postmaster hangs until Ctrl-C

From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown(at)hwwe(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice list" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster hangs until Ctrl-C
Date: 2001-04-05 19:50:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

I was certain that I had already taken care of the proper environmental
variables (PGLIB, PGDATA) and that I should be able to start postmaster in
the foreground or background. But I tried your suggestion anyway. By
starting postmaster in the background it revealed an error I hadn't
considered -- postmaster couldn't find PGDATA in spite of the correct
.bash_profile.

I checked the current $PATH variable and found that it didn't include
/home/postgres/bin. I had logged in as tbrown and su'd to postgres which
kept /home/tbrown/bin in the path as $HOME. I exited and logged in again as
postgres. Then postmaster worked. The $HOME and $PATH environmental
variables were /home/postgres/bin and /usr/loca/pgsql/data as expected.

Thanks for the reply. It helped.

Tom