RE: Re: Additional system indexes

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: Additional system indexes
Date: 2000-05-30 01:15:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I agree with you.

> > Also, I see a heap_getnext on pg_attribute in vacuum.c that should be
> > using index scan. Are there other places in the code where this needs
> > to be changed?
>
> Dunno; I haven't had time to go looking for suspicious heap_getnext
> loops.

There seems to be some suspicious places e.g. in command.c.
I haven't complained about it mainly because sequential
scan was convenient for my REINDEX stuff.

Though I myself use system indexes if appropiate ones
exist,I've always been suspicous. I don't think that indexes
are always best. Sequential scan is never slower than index
scan for small tables. It is reliable even in case of index
corruption. System indexes may grow big but vacuum
couldn't shrink them as pointed out in another thread..
... and so on.

> Another thing we had discussed was to try to unify the APIs of the
> heap_getnext and index_getnext routines so that it could be fairly
> transparent in calling code which one you are using. That'd allow
> support of Hiroshi's disable-system-indexes feature without so much
> cruft. If we are going to do that, it probably ought to happen before
> we start adding more call sites that'll have to be fixed.

Yes unification is required. Current separate routines seems to
have misled even main developers if index scan is preferable.

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp