how to get info about tables in remote dB?

From: "Mykola Dudar" <dmykola(at)hpcerc(dot)unm(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how to get info about tables in remote dB?
Date: 2003-01-28 00:28:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,
I am using PostgreSQL JDBC driver to connect to PostgreSQL server. And I need to get a list of tables under the current user and get information about tables - # of tables, # of columns in them, type of columns, etc.
For intanse, in oracle I could this by running:
select * from user_tables; -- give the list of tables
descr table_name; - gives information about the table

Ideas?
Thanks,
Mykola