Cannot connect to postgresql database

From: "Matt Heerema" <matt(at)cramerdev(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Cannot connect to postgresql database
Date: 2002-08-16 19:02:58
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I have seen a few other posts from people with this same issue, but I have
not found the answer on this mailing list. So hopefully someone can point
me to the answer, or answer this for me.

I am setting up PostgreSQL 7.2.1 on windows 2000 server, using Cygwin
1.3.10-1 following Jason's postgresql-7.2.1.README file. (it is very
helpful Jason).

Everything runs smoothly until I attempt the following command.

$ psql -U postgres template1

it returns the following error.

psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
before or while processing the request.

Does anyone know what the issue is here?

I tried this same thing with PostgreSQL 7.2.2 and Cygwin 1.3.12-4, got the
same error. (I was hoping it was a bug with the new version.. but, alas)

Any help is very appreciated.

matt