Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request)

From: "Jonathan davis" <haj(at)idianet(dot)net>
To: "Tim Allen" <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] libpq problem (really libpq feature request)
Date: 1999-07-28 10:06:03
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
>I think Jonathan is alluding (in a rather obtuse manner :-)) to an issue
>that is on my wishlist also, namely a more systematic way of identifying
>errors. Currently, libpq gives you an error state (no error, nonfatal
>error, or fatal error) and an error message. What would be nice is if
>there was also some sort of error code (eg an integer) that identified the
>exact nature of the problem. And, of course, a published spec of what the
>error codes mean. Then it would be much easier for one's program to know
>what the error was, and, if possible, do something about it. From my point
>of view, there are basically two classes of error - programmer error, and
>resource limitation error (eg network problems, disk space problems). The
>fundamental difference is that for the latter, the user might be able to
>do something about it, whereas for the former, you need to modify the
>code. It would be good if a program could deduce which it was without
>having to do anything silly and dangerous like trying to parse the error

the postgresql client is running under win98 and the server under FreeBSD3.1
when I'm trying to connect to the server and the server is not running, the
error message is:
connectDB() -- socket() failed:
No error

and when the password is incorrect, i have the same error

it is no way to difference the errors !!!

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Herouth MaozDate: 1999-07-28 12:01:11