Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion

From: "Laurent Ballester" <postgresql(dot)ballester(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: "Joerg Hessdoerfer" <Joerg(dot)Hessdoerfer(at)sea-gmbh(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postmaster failed to start and/or accept connexion
Date: 2004-02-25 10:56:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
> You need to specify '-i' (not '-I'), then it works (for me). You could
also do
> this in postgresql.conf, IMHO.
>
> Do you also see the backends claiming more and more memory until crashing?
> can't yet put my fingers on the reason.

Hi,

First, thank you for your help.

I launch postmaster with -i, it was a typo error in my previous mail.

To summarize, I have two different errors types:

1)      postmaster crash at start up because it "could not attach to proper
memory at fixed address: shmget(key=5432001, addr=014D0000) failed: No such
file or directory"

I update postgresql.conf with max_connections = 5 and now this error does
not appear too much.

2)      If I launch postmaster again, it start and listen to port 5432, I
have only a warning "select() failed in statistics collector"  before
"database system is ready". After a quick reading of source code, it doesn't
seem too important.

On a client side, "psql template1" or "createdb mydb" failed to connect to
postmaster. The error was "server closed the connection unexpectedly..."
while the server said "could not receive data from client: No such file or
directory, incomplete startup packet".

I continue to investigate.

Regards,

Laurent Ballester