Snapshot as Backup

From: "Ed Murphy" <emurphy1(at)email(dot)arizona(dot)edu>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Snapshot as Backup
Date: 2004-01-13 17:15:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

I'm using Red Hat Enterprise v2.1 and PostgreSQL v7.3.4.  Our hardware
setup includes a large Storage Area Network (SAN).  The systems folks
are going to utilize a snapshot type backup to backup the file system.
This snapshot will include PGDATA and all the PostgreSQL files.  My
question is if I restore this snapshot will PostgreSQL work?  I know if
doing a typical file system backup of PostgreSQL I must first stop the
postmaster or the backup will not produce a useable PostgreSQL system.
Is it necessary to stop the postmaster for this snapshot backup also?

Thanks,

Ed Murphy
The University of Arizona

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Matt ClarkDate: 2004-01-13 17:59:09