Re: Maybe Basic Questions ....

From: "Donald Fraser" <demolish(at)cwgsy(dot)net>
To: "[pgADMIN]" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maybe Basic Questions ....
Date: 2003-07-28 20:58:22
Lists: pgadmin-support

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joao" <joao(at)inforap(dot)pt>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 12:48 PM
Subject: [pgadmin-support] Maybe Basic Questions ....

> Hello,
>
> I'm New in PostGreSQL so I couldn't yet do much things with this DB.
>
> My Problem is the folwing...
>
> I've a Linux (RedHat 8.0) with PGSQL preinstalled.
> The Questions ?
> 1 - Who to connect to database via ODBC or PGAdmin2.

pgAdmin2 uses ODBC directly you do not need to set any data sources up using
ODBC.

> If I Try to connect with pgadmin2 this error apears :
> ---------------------
> Could not connect to the server;
> Could not connect to remote socket.
>
> Check each of the following possible causes of this error:
> - The server or port specified is incorrect.
>
> - The client workstation cannot establish a network connection to the
> server. Try using 'ping' on the workstation to check the network.
>
> - The server is not listening on a TCP/IP port. Make sure that the
> postmaster was started with the -i option, or that tcpip_socket = true is
> set in $PGDATA/postgresql.conf.

I would check the option above, it is the most common cause for failure.
If tcp/ip is not set to true then pgAdmin will not connect!
You might want to check the file: $PGDATA/pg_hba.conf as well. This file holds
information about who can connect according to IP address ranges.

> Note : I'Have Comunication getween to computers...(whats wrong ?)
>
> (If I Execute PSQL in Linux it runs OK but i dont know the database name)
If you have not created one then there will only be "template1"

> 2 - Who I Create a new database?
You can create a database once you connect via pgAdmin2

> 3 - I've downloaded the PGSQL 7.3.3 to install/Upgrade in RH8 but the
> message appears :
>
> [pgsqlinst]# ls
> postgresql-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-contrib-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-python-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-devel-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-docs-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-tcl-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-jdbc-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-test-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> postgresql-libs-7.3.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm
> [root(at)LNXRH8 pgsqlinst]# rpm -i *.rpm
> erro: Failed dependencies:
> libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.3.2) is needed by postgresql-pl-7.3.3-1PGDG
> postgresql < 7.3 conflicts with postgresql-server-7.3.3-1PGDG
>
> Any Idea about this ??

Not really sure on this one.
What about trying -U option instead of install and also which rpm files did you
down-load - were they built for Redhat 8.0?

> 4 - Last Questions
> - What Platforms are supported by PostGreSQL ?
> - This Database Run in Windows with some stange way (whats that ?)

It will run on almost any Unix based platform + Mac + windows (via
cigwin) -take your choice.

Regards
Donald Fraser