Can you use an array of variables in a function?

From: "Frank Millman" <frank(at)chagford(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can you use an array of variables in a function?
Date: 2004-12-31 10:07:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all

Is it possible to use an array of variables in a PL/pgSQL function?

Here is a trivial example of what I am trying to do.

------------------------
create or replace function fmfunc(int) returns int as '
declare
_int alias for $1;
_ints int[3];
begin
_ints[1] = _int * 2;
_ints[2] = _int * 4;
_ints[3] = _int * 8;
return _ints[3];
end;'
language 'plpgsql';

SELECT fmfunc(3) runs without any errors, but it returns null.

For debugging, I added the following line before the return -
raise notice ''ints[1] = '', _ints[1];

I then get 'syntax error at or near "["'.

Platform is 7.4.1 on Redhat 9.

TIA for any advice.

Frank Millman