Linux+postgresql+ODBC+StarOffice

From: "Paul Green" <paulg(at)themutual(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Linux+postgresql+ODBC+StarOffice
Date: 2000-02-09 19:30:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

My objective is to use StarOffice 5.1a (StarBase 5.1) as the front-end to postgresql 6.5.2-1 both of these are running on a Linux machine. To achieve this I assume I need to use ODBC.

The postgresql I am using came with Redhat 6.1 and included postgresql-odbc 6.5.2-1. The description of this package says that it includes sample configuration files but only 3 files are listed, since 2 of these are pointers to the third file there is effectively only one which is /usr/lib/libpsqlodbc.so.25 (i.e. the driver).

After reading the postgresql documentation I discovered that I needed a driver manager on the system the driver is to be used. I subsequently got hold of iodbc-2-12. After building iodbc iodbc-2.12.so was placed in my home directory.

After having read the documentation that came with postgresql and iodbc I unsuccessfully tried creating a configuration file (~.odbc.ini). I am unclear as to what this configuration file should look like.

I am also unclear as to how StarBase will pick this up when launching the new database wizard when selecting the ODBC option for the type of database.

Hopefully what I have done is not totally wrong and any help with both the .odbc configuration file and connection to StarBase would be appreciated. Is there an easy way to test the .odbc configuration file seperately.

Incidently my postgresql configuration works and I have a database that I can connect to using the standard postgresql tools.

Thanking any response in advance

Paul.