Problem with installing the data directory

From: Karl Schmid <schmid(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with installing the data directory
Date: 2000-07-10 09:32:44
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi,

during the completely new installation of PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on my SuSE 6.1
system, I encountered the following error. Any help in explaining to me the
oid8 error will be greatly appreciated.

When entering:

postgresql(at)GEN-24:/opt/postgres > /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D
/opt/postgres/data

The following error message appears:

This database system will be initialized with username "postgresql".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on pre-existing data directory /opt/postgres/data
Creating database system directory /opt/postgres/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /opt/postgres/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /opt/postgres/data/base/template1
ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'oid8'.

ERROR:  Error: unknown type 'oid8'.

Creating global relations in /opt/postgres/data/base
cp: /usr/lib/pgsql/lib/postmaster.opts.default.sample: No such file or directory

initdb failed.
Removing /opt/postgres/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.11666.

Karl
Dr. Karl Schmid
Department of Genetics and Evolution
Max-Planck-Institute for Chemical Ecology
Carl-Zeiss-Promenade 10
D-07745 Jena
Germany

Phone:  + 49 3641-643658
Fax:    + 49 3641-643668
Email: schmid(at)ice(dot)mpg(dot)de

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Neil TorontoDate: 2000-07-10 15:32:28