Case sensitivity

From: Brian Piatkus <brian(at)brianp(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Case sensitivity
Date: 2000-07-04 20:37:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
There seems to be a general issue here with usernames.

PG creates only lower case usernames. I am happy that if  usEr can't type, it's
his problem but I have a definite problem with Identd authentication from an NT
client (or ident server whichever you choose )  which insists on pretty-printing
the identd response.

I have therefore hacked my  code in auth.c. This seems to be of no other
consequence but I am not a C programmer nor did I have time to check it out
elsewhere.

I may be masking another, more general, issue but this does for me ! Can we get
it or equivalent in future releases please ?

Regards.

BTW The actaul code works - this is a cut&paste.

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Talk to the ident server on the remote host and find out who owns the
  connection described by "port".  Then look in the usermap file under
  the usermap *auth_arg and see if that user is equivalent to
  Postgres user *user.

  Return STATUS_OK if yes.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
	bool		checks_out;
	bool		ident_failed;

	/* We were unable to get ident to give us a username */
	char		ident_username[IDENT_USERNAME_MAX + 1];
!!!!!!!!!	char*		c = ident username;

	/* The username returned by ident */

	ident(raddr->sin_addr, laddr->sin_addr,
		  raddr->sin_port, laddr->sin_port,
		  &ident_failed, ident_username);

	if (ident_failed)
		return STATUS_ERROR;

	verify_against_usermap(postgres_username, ident_username, auth_arg,
						   &checks_out);

	return checks_out ? STATUS_OK : STATUS_ERROR;
}

Next:From: Jan WieckDate: 2000-07-04 22:39:04