Ambiguous behaviour of age(timestamp)

From: "Kouber Saparev" <kouber(at)saparev(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ambiguous behaviour of age(timestamp)
Date: 2004-11-29 15:33:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

As the documentation describes the AGE() function - ,
there are two signatures:
- AGE(timestamp);
- AGE(timestamp, timestamp).

I think the documentation is misleading, because AGE(timestamp) is actually
converted to AGE(current_date, timestamp), and not to AGE(now(), timestamp).
So for example:
test=> select age(now());
(1 row)

I'm actually receiving the *age* of now() compared to the start of the day
0:00. Thus:
test=> select age(now() - interval '1 day');
(1 row)

returns not an age of 1 day but the age of yesterday's timestamp compared to
0:00 of today.

test=> select age(now(), now() - interval '1 day');
 1 day
(1 row)

Which is correct.

As I initially understood the docs, the second form of age(timestamp,
timestamp) is the same as the first one - age(timestamp), with the exception
that the counting is not started from *today* but from custom timestamp
instead; and because the arguments are of type 'timestamp' and not 'date' I
supposed that now() is applied as a default first argument.

I am not sure what is the right behaviour of this function (I think it's not
correct now), but at least there have to be some explanations in the

Kouber Saparev

pgsql-bugs by date