Postgresql performance

From: Enix Empreendimentos e Construções Ltda(dot) <contato(at)enix(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgresql performance
Date: 2003-03-12 20:47:23
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi everybody.

I am a newbie to Postgresql, trying to migrate an application from MSAccess.

I am quite dissapointed with the problems I am facing with some queries
containing multiple joins. I confess it has been hard for someone that is
not a DBA to figure out which are the problems. Just to ilustrate, I have
some queries that provide a reasonable query plan (at least from my point of
view), but that return no result: keep running on and on.

My system description is: Postgresql 7.1.3, Linux RedHat 7.1 (all patches
applied), 160Mb RAM.

Is the performance of the mentioned Postgresql version much slower than the
7.3.1?

All advice will be more than appeciated.

Regards.

Fabio

---