Command names

From: "Keith L(dot) Musser" <kmusser(at)idisys(dot)com>
To: "PGSQL-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Command names
Date: 2000-09-28 13:39:35
Lists: pgsql-general
I know all of you are accustomed to the command line interface for pgsql.  (Of course, some of you created it!)  However, I'd be interested if anyone else feels the way I do....

I would prefer to have a consistent set of names for the commands.  For example,
I propose the following:

Instead of this            use this.
createdb                    pg_createdb
createuser                 pg_createuser
destroydb                  pg_destroydb
initdb                        pg_initdb
initlocation                 pg_initlocation
pgaccess                   pg_accessgui
pgadmin                    pg_admin
pg_dump                   pg_dump
pg_dumpall                pg_dumpall
postgres                    pg_single
postmaster                pg_master
psql                          pg_access
vacuumdb                  pg_vacuumdb
???                           pg_help (list all these commands)

Not that it is terribly difficult the way it is.  But I simply think that a consistent set of names would help new users, and help to prevent conflicts with other commands in the PATH.  Any comments?

- Keith

Keith L. Musser
Integrated Dynamics, Inc.
812-371-7777
email:  kmusser(at)idisys(dot)com

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Efrain CaroDate: 2000-09-28 14:28:37