Multi-threading on PostgreSQL?

From: "Tiago Hermans" <thermans(at)hawaii(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Multi-threading on PostgreSQL?
Date: 1999-07-15 06:13:35
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-general
Hi,

I am really impressed with the features of PostgreSQL but am wondering if we
should use this product for our project. We have tried several databases
(MySQL, Sybase ASE, Sybase ASA) and we are now looking at PostgreSQL before
releasing our service on the Internet.

My concern comes from the fact that there's no multi-threading support in
PostgreSQL and since we expect many customers to be connected at the same
time on multiple connections, I am afraid the time to perform the SQL
statements will be much longer, since they'll all be queued one after the
other. Therefore, if one query takes a long time, all the other queries have
to wait behind before being executed.

Am I missing something or are my assumptions correct?
Also, does PostgreSQL supports international characters?

Thank you for any info this.

Tiago Hermans
thermans(at)hawaii(dot)rr(dot)com

pgsql-docs by date

Next:From: Chris BitmeadDate: 1999-07-15 06:31:11
Next:From: Chris BitmeadDate: 1999-07-15 06:31:11
Previous:From: Tiago HermansDate: 1999-07-15 06:03:04
Subject: Multi-Threading?