Re: VB.NET web applications accessing PostgresSql through ODBC

From: "Greg Quinn" <greg(at)officium(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VB.NET web applications accessing PostgresSql through ODBC
Date: 2006-12-16 17:11:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Use the .net provider as Richard mentioned.
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql

The documentation is quite good which shows you how to connect to the db
etc. in .NET. All you need to do is copy the npgsql.dll file into your apps
bin folder.

For example your code would look something like...

Dim szConnect As String = "DSN=mydsnname;UID=myuid;PWD=******"
Dim cnDB As New PgSqlConnection(szConnect)
cnDB.Open() ' <--- this is where the code fails
Dim dsDB As New DataSet
Dim adDB As New PgSqlDataAdapter
Dim cbDB As New PgSqlCommandBuilder(adDB)
adDB.SelectCommand = New PgSqlCommand("Select * from mytable", cnDB)
adDB.Fill(dsDB)

If you have any other issues let us know. Been using PostGreSQL with .NET
extensively lately and it's a breeze :)