Re: Reducing duplicated business rules

From: "Peter Bayley" <peterb(at)homer(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Michael Glaesemann" <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing duplicated business rules
Date: 2003-11-06 01:46:32
Lists: pgsql-php

My preference would be towards identifying bad data as soon as possible and
thus provide the user a better (more interactive) experience. For me this
means more clevers on the client - ie some JavaScript to check dates,
formats, etc. This is relatively simple to implement as a function invoked
by the "SEND" or "OK" button and which eventually does a form.submit() if
everything is okay. If there is a problem somewhere, you can alert the user
to the problem, set the form focus to the offending input value and then
allow the user to re-enter data. Even better would be to call validation
after each field has been changed so the user doesn't have to fill in the
entire form before his or her errors are identified.

The other idea is to create some PostgreSQL-stored metadata with the form so
that the rules for validation can be read from the database. This would
allow PHP to read the validation rules for an input field (eg date must be
in the future) and validate the field generically. It would also allow the
PHP creating the input form in the first place to provide extra information
in the form so that the pre-submit JavaScript function could also be
generic - the same validation script would then read the validation rules -
perhaps from hidden input fields and validate the corresponding input value.
The metadata could include a PROMPT message that tells the user what is
needed in a particular field.

Hope this helps

Peter