Newbie question on ODBC connectivity

From: Fred Reimer <fwr(at)ga(dot)prestige(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Newbie question on ODBC connectivity
Date: 2000-05-28 16:25:02
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

Although I've used PostgreSQL for quite some time, including ODBC access from a
Windows box to both Linux and Solaris boxes, I still consider myself a newbie
as far as understanding all of the limitations of ODBC. Hopefully someone
could clarify the situation for me and give some suggestions, or pointers to
the FM's.

What I would like to do is this: I have HP OpenView NNM 6.1, which uses a
flat-file internal database (actually I think it's a custom DB/DBM/NDBM/GDBM
database). It also includes a run-time version of SOLID that users can
regularly export network topology, event, and data statistics to for "custom"
manipulation. For example, users may use this to do SQL queries on the events
to generate reports for system availability, etc.

I already have PostgreSQL 6.5 on my Solaris 7 box, which I use for a custom
database for sending out pages, etc. I'm in the process of upgrading to
PostgreSQL 7.0 and would like to use it for the ODBC database that HP OpenView
NNM exports to if at all possible. In addition to the included SOLID database,
NNM can also export to Oracle and SQL Server databases. I would think that it
should be able to export to any "ODBC" compliant database.

So my question is, is there a program anywhere that provides for a ODBC driver,
or converter, so that a PostgreSQL database "looks" like an Oracle, SQL Server,
or SOLID database? It's my understanding that while ODBC is an API standard
it's not really a "network protocol" standard in that you have to have the
"right" driver on the client end to match up with the server. Since I won't be
recompiling HP OpenView NNM anytime soon, it's impossible for me to use one of
the client ODBC API libraries that are/may be available for PostgreSQL.

Am I totally mis-understanding this? Is there any software out there that will
provide a "generic" ODBC interface for PostgreSQL? If not, because there is no
"standard" network protocol for ODBC, then is there one that will allow it to
"look" like a more popular database that already has client ODBC libraries most
commercial binary-only programs link to.

Any clarification or information would be apprciated. My only other
alternative at this point would be to get Oracle for Solaris or Linux and use
that, since HP OpenView is already "set up" for using Oracle...

If you could please copy me on a reply in addition to the list I'd appreciate
it. I already have 2407 messages in my PostgreSQL folder that I haven't read
yet...

Thanks,

Fred Reimer