Re: ODBC: SELECT COMMITs a TRANSACTION

From: Zoltan Kovacs <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
To: Byron Nikolaidis <byron(dot)nikolaidis(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC: SELECT COMMITs a TRANSACTION
Date: 2000-04-04 19:06:45
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Dear Byron,

thank you for your instructions. We tried the ODBC driver without the 'fetch'
option, it works well. Unfortunately this implies that the BDE loads all the
selected table down. The result will be a rather slow query if we want to show the full
table in a grid, especially selecting large tables.

In our opinion a transaction should not be closed when the user sends a SELECT
statement. Are there other database engines which demand this feature? If not,
it should be called as a bug and put it onto the TODO list and talk about it in
the documentation.

We are in a need of handling this on tables containing many rows (~1000). If you
could please help, that where we can start to work, we may try to modify the
sources. I'm not sure we are able to do this, but maybe.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Zoltan