Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'Andreas Pflug'" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,"'Dave Page'" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <ac(at)wazagua(dot)com>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, <wheyliger(at)wazagua(dot)com>,"'Steve Hatt'" <shatt(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Date: 2005-04-22 17:51:08
Lists: pgsql-performance
I just finished testing Postgres, MYSQL, and MSSQL on my machine (2 gigs
internal XP).

I have adjusted the postgres config to what I think is an ok place and have
mysql default and mssql default.

Using Aqua studio a program that hooks to all three I have found:

      Initial exec  Second exec  Returning 331,640 records on all 3 database
MSSQL    468ms          16ms              2 mins 3  secs
MYSQL   14531ms       6625ms              2 mins 42 secs
Postgr  52120ms      11702ms              2 mins 15 secs

Not sure if this proves your point on PGadmin versus MYSQL query tool versus
MSSQL Query tool, but it certainly seems encouraging.

I am going to visit Josh's tests he wanted me to run on the LINUX server.

Joel Fradkin