Double error messages

From: SZŰCS Gábor <surrano(at)mailbox(dot)hu>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Double error messages
Date: 2002-06-06 09:31:44
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dear Hiroshi,

Since we changed to driver 7.2.xxxx, most of our client error messages
(caught by Borland C++/Delphi) are doubled, up to the 254 character Varchar
limit. Example:

ERROR: this is an exception from the server
;
ERROR: this is an exception from the server

Looking at the psqlodbc log or the server console, the error message seems
to be single; however, error handlers catch most (but not all) messages as
if the message text were doubled, separated with a semicolon (probably
surrounded by new lines but I can't assure this). At the first glance, I
can't tell the difference between repeated and unrepeated messages. It
occurs with user-defined exceptions in user-defined functions as well as
"Cannot insert duplicate key into unique index", for example.

With 7.1.xxxx drivers, we don't have the problem.

Since the logs reflect single messages, and Borland Database Explorer seems
not to have this problem either, I'm unsure if it's a driver problem, but
something has definitely changed in the driver, not handled correctly by our
dev environment (Korbitec ODBCExpress / Borland C++Builder).

I'd appreciate if we could locate the exact source of the error, even if we
can't solve it (if it's in a Korbitec/Borland product). At first glance, it
sounds like a runaway string or range check problem, but can't tell where it
might be.

Yours,
G.
--
There are 10 kinds of people:
those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.