Re: PostgreSQL on Linux390

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: dadam(at)gratex(dot)sk
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Linux390
Date: 2000-03-04 16:42:12
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
> we just installed PostgreSQL 6.5.3 and have problem using it.
> I type /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql and it seems to run ok. But after that I
> try "psql template1" and that just hangs, without getting a prompt. So does
> regression test ( regression.sh ) - at the first command ( dropdb regression
> ).
>
> This is on S/390 ( IBM mainframe ), Red Hat distribution, kernel 2.2.13.
> PostgreSQL is rpm installation ( binary, not src ).

!?!?!?!?!

An IBM S/390 running Intel binaries? What sort of emulator do you have that
will do this? There IS a native S/390 port of Linux done by IBM -- you may
have better luck compiling a native S/390 binary, rather than running through
the emulator.

Are there any error messages at all? Can you netstat -a and see port 5432
being bound? The netstat -a will also list the Unix domain socket that
postmaster opens as well.

If you have a RedHat/390 distribution, that would be GREAT -- however, you will
have to rebuild from the source RPM, unless you have an i386 emulator that I
don't know about.

I have taken the liberty of CC: ing the pgsql-ports list on this -- maybe
others have an idea.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio