Restoring DB using Continuous Archive Backup

From: nick <nicktjh(at)solutionx(dot)com(dot)my>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Restoring DB using Continuous Archive Backup
Date: 2008-03-27 10:21:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi everyone,

I just got PGSQL up and running yesterday. One of the features that intrigue
me is the WAL. I am running tests to perform DB restores using WAL. The last
attempt ended in disaster and a reinstall.

This may sound retarded. I can’t seem to get a clear picture from the
manual. I quote (Chapter 24.3.3 Step 4):

Restore the database files from your backup dump. Be careful that they are
restored with the right

ownership (the database system user, not root!) and with the right
permissions. If you are using

tablespaces, you should verify that the symbolic links in pg_tblspc/ were
correctly restored.

I need to know which kind of backup (as there are multiple suggested in the
manual) would that (underlined) be referring to?

Is there a way to detach/attach databases (like ms-sql) and so perform
restoration on only one database instead of bringing down the service?

Is there a method to re-run WAL after restoring an old backup without
resorting to a service stop-start?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Checked by AVG.