Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: Annoyance: Windows XP - Help file always on top

From: "Luc Mousseau" <luc(at)aspworld(dot)com>
To: "'Hiroshi Saito'" <saito(at)inetrt(dot)skcapi(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Annoyance: Windows XP - Help file always on top
Date: 2006-01-20 19:17:59
Message-ID: 000301c61df6$3991e1e0$a800000a@sivana.net (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgadmin-support
Hi Hiroshi, 

As I mentioned, I'm aware that you can minimize the help window, however, my
point is that you should not have to this to bring the pgAdmin window to the
front. I don't believe this is a Microsoft problem, as this behaviour is not
the correct behaviour for the windows help file (in ANY application). The
correct behaviour is for the pgAdmin window to come to the front when you
click on it's taskbar button or you alt-tab to it. If you look at other
applications which use the same windows help file system, they use this
correct behaviour.

One thing I just noticed.. If you look at the Windows Task Manager, while
the help file doesn't load in a separate "Image Name" in the "Processes"
tab, it should show a separate "Task" in the "Applications" tab, which it
doesn't appear to do. Maybe that has something to do with it?

In any case, and if anyone cares, the workaround is to open the pgAdmin help
file directly ("\PGAdminIII\docs\en_US\pgadmin3.chm"), instead of through
pgAdmin via F1 or help menu.

Regards,

Luc

-----Original Message-----
From: pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Hiroshi Saito
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:06 PM
To: Luc Mousseau
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Annoyance: Windows XP - Help file always on
top

Hi Luc.

You could clear it by minimizing help window. The help system of windows has
the specification which you say. We think that it is unchangeable. However,
Complaint can be told to Microsoft.:-) Probably, theory of majority?....

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito 

From: "Luc Mousseau"


> Platform: Windows XP Professional
> Language: English
> Distribution/version: pgAdmin III v1.5 (Dec 9 2005) and all previous
>  
> This is not so much a bug as just really irritating, and Im not 100% 
> sure if it's an issue with pgAdmin or Windows (i lean towards pgAdmin 
> because this isn't normal behaviour).
>  
> The pgAdmin help file.. when you open it from within pgAdmin (F1 or 
> Help menu), it appears to be stuck in an "always on top" mode (that I 
> can't find an option for). It's really annoying when you have the help 
> file open and want to see the main pgAdmin window, if you click on the 
> taskbar button for pgAdmin and the help file comes up. Same thing if 
> you try alt-tabbing to pgAdmin, you get the help file.. The only way 
> to see the pgAdmin window is to then either minimize the help file, or 
> reduce it's window size and actually click on the pgAdmin window 
> beneath it, but even then it stays on top..


---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly



In response to

pgadmin-support by date

Next:From: Joost KraaijeveldDate: 2006-01-22 08:19:33
Subject: Lost instrumentation functions
Previous:From: AntoineDate: 2006-01-20 18:06:33
Subject: Re: Annoyance: Windows XP - Help file always on

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group