Error in indexing?

From: "Pavel PaJaSoft Janousek" <janousek(at)fonet(dot)cz>
To: "PgSQL Interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error in indexing?
Date: 1999-04-21 17:37:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
    Hi all,

    by the work on one project, I see this situation:
I have table, it has primary key.. psql automaticly create unique key for
this column. - OK
Now, I insert one row into this table... - OK
Now, I delete this row from the table... - OK
And now, I can insert row to this table with the same values as
previous... - BAD:-(

    I got message from sqlca, that I cannot insert a duplicate key into a
unique index...

    I thought, that inserting and deleting rows from database is transparent
and automaticly created indexes are corectly updates by values in the table.
Is very badly, that I must think that table XX has a unique index and after
deleting some rows I must update a index...

    And now, when I have this situation, I try use vacuum, but I can't
insert the same row again...

    I think one posible way... - delete neccessery rows, drop index and
create new index... - but this is ...'-)

    Can somebody help me with this, I use ECPG distributed with PostgreSQl
6.4.2 - is this bad situation error for this release and will be fixed in
version 6.5? I permanently monitoring situation by version 6.5, I think,
that is currectly beta2, but I know, that it has still some problems and
errors, so I can't use it for now...

    Thanks...

Pavel Janousek (PaJaSoft)                         FoNet, spol. s r. o.
Vyvoj software, sprava siti, Unix, Web, Y2K     Anenska 11, 602 00  Brno
E-mail: mailto:Janousek(at)FoNet(dot)Cz                Tel.: +420  5  4324 4749
SMS:    mailto:P(dot)Janousek(at)SMS(dot)Paegas(dot)Cz         Fax.: +420  5  4324 4751
WWW:    http://WWW.FoNet.Cz/                  E-mail: mailto:Info(at)FoNet(dot)Cz

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: moorleghenDate: 1999-04-21 17:50:04