JDBC Performance Help Needed For inserts

From: "Frank Morton" <fmorton(at)base2inc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: JDBC Performance Help Needed For inserts
Date: 1998-11-19 22:34:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I need some advice related to JDBC performance.

I have an application that might do 200 inserts
in a batch. Right now, it is taking 120 milliseconds
or so per insert, so it adds up to a substantial
amount of time, especially since this is an application
where a user is waiting for it to complete.

Disk activity during this insert period is very high.
It is acting as if LOTS of activity is happening with
each insert. Is the auto-commit feature killing the
performance? These are relatively unimportant inserts,
so if I can defer commits to the end, it is of minor risk
to loose the inserts. These are temporary entries.

Is there a way to temporarily turn commits off for a batch
of inserts, waiting until the end?

Am I missing something? It seems awfully slow.

I am running 6.3.2 under Solaris.

I'd appreciate advice from you all who have been through
this. Thanks.

Frank Morton (fmorton(at)mail(dot)base2inc(dot)com)
Voice: (317) 876-3355
FAX: (317) 876-3398
Home: (317) 574-0815