Windows NT port of Postgres

From: "Joost Kraaijeveld" <JKraaijeveld(at)askesis(dot)nl>
To: "Pgsql-Hackers" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Windows NT port of Postgres
Date: 1998-09-19 12:17:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everybody,

A report of my attempts after my holiday.

1. Configure

Configure needed a little change in the detection of the way echo handles
en-of-line.

2. Make

Postgres compiles and links with EGCS 1.1 for CygWin B19 with some tools
from Andy Piper and a IPC library by Ludovic Lange. Some changes in the EGCS
source tree are needed (I did this so that I did not have to change any
Postgres source).

3. Make install

I had to strip the extension from the executables (I read somewhere that
that could be done from configure but I cannot find te correct message.
After Make instal I renamed the executables to the *.exe form again. If I
did not do that I got a lot of "access denied" messages in the rest of the
procedure.

4. Initdb

I created a postgres account (jkr).

I set the environmental variable USER to the account above.

This line in the script gave NOUSER as POSTGRES_SUPERUID:
POSTGRES_SUPERUID=`pg_id $POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME`
I think it has something to do with the way a user name is created in
Windows NT: WindowNTDomain\UserName and the way getpwnam() in pg_id.c works.
Running pg_id with no $POSTGRES_SUPERUSERNAME gave a number. So I changed
the line to:
POSTGRES_SUPERUID=500, the result of running pg_id without parameter.

After doing that the output of initdb was:

bash-2.01$ initdb
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/local1_template1.bki.source as input to
create the template database.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/global1.bki.source as input to create the
global classes.
initdb: using /usr/local/pgsql/lib/pg_hba.conf.sample as the host-based
authentication control file.

We are initializing the database system with username jkr (uid=500).
This user will own all the files and must also own the server process.

initdb: creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
Running: postgres -boot -C -F -D/usr/local/pgsql/data -Q template1
(d:\unix\root\usr\local\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe 5333) Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(d:\unix\root\usr\local\pgsql\bin\postgres.exe 5333) Dumping stack trace to
postgres.exe.core
initdb: could not create template database
initdb: cleaning up by wiping out /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1
bash-2.01$

Debugging postgres with the above commandline created some difficulties
because the debugger did not step into the function that was responsible for
the crash (bool IsBootstrapProcessingMode() in miscinit.c line 170). I have
not figured out what the problem is.

5. People who have offered help.

There are a few people who have offered to help (active coding / guidance /
moral support) :
Hugo Korwaser (hugo(dot)korwaser(at)dspace(dot)co(dot)uk)
J. Michael Roberts (mirobert(at)cs(dot)indiana(dot)edu)
Chris Williams (chris_d_williams(at)sterling(dot)com)

More help is welcome. (BTW because of some major hard and software prblems I
lost my entire email archive. So if you offered help and I did not mention
you please respond and don't be mad at me ;-)).

The people who have offered help will be contacted shortly to make a plan.
If you allready have one let me know.

Joost