Re: Server->Client notification (without polling)?

From: Wolfgang Keller <wolfgang(dot)keller(dot)nospam(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server->Client notification (without polling)?
Date: 2006-09-20 19:54:03
Lists: pgsql-novice

>> As I understand from the manual, the LISTEN and NOTIFY SQL commands require
>> to poll the database to retrieve the notification events...?
>
> No, they don't.

Thanks for the reply. :-)

I read the manual again and now I understand that it's the libpq client
library which requires polling a function to retrieve the notifications
received from the server. Is there no way to tell the library "please call me
when a notification arrives"?

P.S.: I'm accessing PostgreSQL from Python if this matters, any of the Python
modules for PostgreSQL access is ok for me instead of libpq.

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

--