Re: [HACKERS] Re: Case-folding bogosity in new psql

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Case-folding bogosity in new psql
Date: 2000-02-01 03:17:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> Personal opinion: I think we are coming across a little harder on Peter
> then most of us are intending :( I think we're blowing a few
> misconceptions a little out of proportion, which is just fueling things
> further ...

And the subject line doesn't help, IMHO. 'Bogosity' is pretty strong --
'bugosity' might be better.....

However, I understand the possessiveness one gets when one has put forth a
great deal of effort into a major project such as this one.

> Peter, I agree with Thomas about the work you are doing, I just tend to
> come across 'strong' when I disagree with something ...

The 'e-mail effect' strikes again. Isn't it so much easier to be much harsher
by e-mail than intended? I certainly have noticed that in my decade of being
net-connected (first via a slow as molasses uucp link to usenet, then via an
even slower slip link....). However, this is quite tame compared to, say, the
linux-kernel mailing list..... But, then again, I do believe that the
collective net-age of the developers here is higher than on lk, even if the
list itself is possibly younger.

I say 'kudos' to all the developers who have put in long mostly thankless hours
working on this project -- it _is_ worth it!!

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio