Re: [SQL] how many inserts in one transaction?

From: Christopher Sawtell <csawtell(at)xtra(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: gav <gav(at)nlr(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] how many inserts in one transaction?
Date: 2000-01-23 07:21:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database created in postgres 6.5.3 and need insert huge
> number (~10-100 thousands) of
> rows in one of tables. To do that quickly I put this part of work in
> transaction. My question is such: should I split this block of
> insertings into many transaction to raise the speed? And
> exists the limit of INSERT-commands that I can do in one transaction?

Do not forget that you can use COPY to create a table in PostgreSQL.

It copies from a delimited operating system text file to a PostgreSQL table.

Someting like this:-

CREATE TABLE district ( number serial, name varchar(25));

copy district from '/home/chris/iopen/schools/database/districts.txt' USING DELIMITERS '~';

--
Sincerely etc.,

NAME Christopher Sawtell - Support Engineer - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
ICQ UIN 45863470
EMAIL chris @ iopen . co . nz, csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
CNOTES ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

---->>> Please refrain from using HTML attachments in e-mails to me. <<<----