Re: Columns out of range-error

From: "Andreas Percher" <andreas(dot)percher(at)automedia(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columns out of range-error
Date: 2004-08-20 15:06:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm a Newbe in using commitment control.
Toby (Woolve73) is my Colleague.
So I try to refine his question.

Step 1
We've got a Table with 203 columns.
We wan't to add (insert) up to 150 new rows.
Each row need 38-52 columns.

Step 2
Using pgAdmin anithing is fine.
Adding "begin" and "roolback" (we don't want to kill our live database)
- it works. Sending the inserts out of our Java-Application without
start/roolback works too.

Step 3
Now back in Java.
Sending a "begin" it gives us a SQL Error
"Spaltenindex außerhalb des gültigen Bereichs"
Which meens
"The column index is out of range."

--> postgresql.res.colrange:Spaltenindex außerhalb des gültigen Bereichs

--> postgresql.res.colrange:The column index is out of range.

This error message occur after 13-16 inserts, depending on the column
count of each insert. Sending the inserts without the long data field
"specialequipment", results in letting the error occur one insert later.

In case of the Error, round about 600 columns (counted over all inserts)
are waiting for its commitment.

Step 4
We are confused.
We need to use commitment control, because if one insert, update or
delete fails, or if an error in the data input stream occurs, we have to
rollback.