RE: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales

From: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Giles Lean" <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: RE: Sigh, LIKE indexing is *still* broken in foreign locales
Date: 2000-06-09 02:03:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

[snip]

> In the absence of a way to do this "right" we need someone to see a
> "good enough" hack that happens to work everywhere, or else give up
> using indexes for LIKE which I doubt would please anyone. I suppose
> the mismatch comes about because LIKE is about pattern matching and
> not collation. :(

Currently optimizer doesn't choose index scan unless the bounds
are sufficiently restrictive.
However we may be able to choose index scan more often if we
could have various type(e.g. LIKE) of qualificactions in index qual.
Though we have to scan an index file entirely,we may be able to
avoid looking up for the heap relation for sufficiently many index
tuples.

This may also give us another possibity.
Index scan may be available for the queries like
select * from .. where .. LIKE '%abc%';

Comments ?

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue