Re: pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts

From: "Klay Martens" <kmartens(at)wol(dot)co(dot)za>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_hba.conf is driving me nuts
Date: 2007-12-15 11:39:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi..yes, I have set the "listen_addresses" to "*"...rather an obvious first
stop...As I said - I have no problems connecting locally, or on a LAN - no
sweat at all. Simply cannot get the connection to work from another network
over a WAN. I believe the problem stems from my not setting pg_hba.conf
correctly, but I would love to test this!
This is my pg_hba.conf file from my developement box:

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
host all all 10.0.0.0/24 md5
host all all 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 md5

At one stage, I even looked up the source ip address reported by aports when
I was logged onto the machine remotely..even that address did not work. So I
figure there is a problem with the subnet mask (don't realy understand the
address masks all that well - I am a programmer, not a network tekkie, so it
is kind of new territory for me). What I was wondering is if there was some
way to allow any host to connect, regardless of ip and subnet which was the
behaviour I expected from the 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 setting - of course it did
absolutely nothing.