Re: same question little different test MSSQL vrs Postgres

From: "Joel Fradkin" <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
To: "'Richard Huxton'" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <ac(at)wazagua(dot)com>, "Steve Goldsmith" <SGoldsmith(at)fcci-group(dot)com>
Subject: Re: same question little different test MSSQL vrs Postgres
Date: 2005-01-26 16:31:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

I tried the SET ENABLE_SEQSCAN=FALSE;
And the result took 29 secs instead of 117.

After playing around with the cache and buffers etc I see I am no longer
doing any swapping (not sure how I got the 100 sec response might have been
shared buffers set higher, been goofing around with it all morning).

My worry here is it should obviously use an index scan so something is not
setup correctly yet. I don't want to second guess the analyzer (or is this a
normal thing?)

Least it is blowing the doors off MSSQL (which is what I touted to my boss
and was pretty upset when I got no result last night).

The 117 was before I forced the seq off so even doing a seq I am getting
results now that are better then MSSQL.

Joel Fradkin

Wazagua, Inc.
2520 Trailmate Dr
Sarasota, Florida 34243
Tel. 941-753-7111 ext 305

jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com
www.wazagua.com
Powered by Wazagua
Providing you with the latest Web-based technology & advanced tools.
C 2004. WAZAGUA, Inc. All rights reserved. WAZAGUA, Inc
This email message is for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and delete and destroy
all copies of the original message, including attachments.